Did you ever think to yourself- why might could happen if you decided to buy a new car on Friday the 13th 2020? I am so glad I am not the only one and I do have the definitive answer- COVID!
- We decided to go ahead and trade the 2016 Honda CVR that I have been driving in for a 2017 Chevy Equinox on Friday November 13th. We actually were going to shop on Friday night and planned to purchase on Saturday but we ended up finishing up all the paperwork and driving away in the new to us car around 9pm.
- I am going to share the reasons we decided to trade cars just for future reference and so I can prove to myself that we did think this through and not regret the purchase. First- neither Matt nor I really enjoyed driving the Honda CVR, it was not a car that we would have purchased. It was under powered and although the gas mileage was better than the van, not enjoyable to drive. Next- the payment was extremely high. I actually had to split the payment in half in order to make it fit our budget. After doing the research, I realized that we could likely reduce our payment by trading even with our upside down status. Finally- Matt has been employed at his job for over a year. Which allowed us to improve both of our credit scores at the same time. By trading and placing the new Equinox in Matt’s name, we reduced my debt ratio and improved his rating with consistent payments. We have accomplished all we set out to do. Car payment is $100 less, Equinox is a car we both enjoy driving and credit will improve in the next six months.
- Sunday, the kids arrived home from spending the weekend with Haley and we took them for a drive in the new car. We ended up eating outside at the Salisbury Cracker Barrel. Matt and I had skipped church that morning because he was not feeling well and we did not want to expose any one to our germs. After eating on Sunday, Zach became sick and threw up. It was a one time thing so I did not worry about it as this can happen.
- Monday- Matt says he is staying home from work so I decided to take Zach to school. He does not have a fever at home or at school. I honestly thought he had a case of the “Mondays”. I dropped him off at school and headed to work where I was schedule to see 3 kids back to back a 30 minute break and another 5 kids back to back. I get a call from Matt that his boss suggest he go test for Covid, because he is positive and has exposed the whole office all week. I finish the third kid and as I am checking my phone to call Matt back, Zach school is calling he threw up!
- Matt did test positive. By Friday (today) his symptoms are very light and he is only taking medicine at night. We suspect that Zach had food poisoning – I ate some of the spinach dip that he had on Sunday and it was bad. I threw it out after one bite and had a horrible stomach ache. By Friday, Zach is completely better! I have had what feels like sinus stuff to me. I have not had a fever, but runny nose and wet cough. Lily has had a sore throat but feels much better today. Kendall ended up with a headache. Everyone is currently on quarantine. We have not left the house since Monday. We are praying for two specific things- no one else get COVID and we can have a small family Thanksgiving. We have been told that 3-4 days without symptoms can end Matt’s quarantine and if no one else has symptoms especially a fever before then. We should be safe. the health department is suppose to call on either Thursday or Wednesday to officially release us as well.
Today we focused on using what we had. Kendall has been spending ALOT of time in her room lately. Literally staring at the walls. She decided this week she wanted to remove a couple of shelves and make it more decorative. Here is the before picture
Matt was able to cut out the round holders for her “Minnie Ears” using a drill bit that was purchased to help place lights in the ceiling. The wood was from some plywood, he salvaged from cleaning out my Dad’s shed several years ago. The current debate is to paint the circles white or black. I will update once this is finished.
Of course we re-purposed the shelf to use in the kitchen.
Another huge saving today is by re-using a device instead of purchasing a new one. This will take a little explaining but hold on. Zach is currently using the family phone. It is a Iphone 6 plus and the battery life is bad like less than 2 hours. When we flew to Disney in August, he used the iPad to watch movies and play games on the plane. Braxton is going with us in December and we have been trying to work out what device both he and Zach could use for entertainment. I have been looking at just replacing Zach’s phone. But today, I spotted Lily’s old IPad mini. It is probably close to 10 years old. We ended up charging it cleaning off everything that we could and loaded around 10 toddler appropriate games for Braxton to use. We are working on figuring out how we could download at least one movie for him to watch. This device is so old that Disney plus nor Amazon prime will run on it. We are looking into an Itunes gift card that would be the easiest way and cost less than $25 vs $1000 for a new phone.
So today has been a really good saving day!
September was interesting to say the least. I did make one huge adjustment this month. We are now using budgets more strictly and I have being very diligent about extra money. My goal is to save the $896 for our remaining Disney tickets in December from extra money or from saving money. This means that I also much cover any overages. So far we have $200 toward our goal.
Gardening- We ended up digging up the sweet potatoes this week and probably have around 25 pounds which should last us through the winter. We are still getting a few tomatoes and green peppers. Pimentos are still producing strongly. I am planning to start some lettuce and celery to see if we can supplement some food for the winter.
Goal #1 Grocery Budget of $550- The total for the month is $501. I did also make a huge grocery trip to Costco this week but will move that $450 out of the October budget. We are completely stocked up and I anticipate both November and December being lower spend months in order to bring down our yearly total and monthly average
Goal #2 – Record and keep up with gas/ auto purchase- $642.18 We had to replace the windshield in the van a second time this year, which pushed out monthly total way up. I am going to anticipate around $300 for gas in the month of October.
Goal #3-Use a cash envelope system for everything possible!. This is a struggle but has become even more important as we attempt to save ticket money. We managed 6 no spend days this month. I am going to plan on 10 next month as our needs should be much less!
Goal #4- Blogging- 15 post per month. This is post number 15 for the month! This is thanks to Disney pictures!
Goal # 5- Fitness- Goal is to walk 3 times a week. ummm no comment
Goal #6 – Bible study- Goal- 3x a week –Yikes!
Goal #7-Attempt at least 52 new recipes this year.- We have met this goal! I am very happy and plan to just focus on what we know for October.
Earnings_ $50. Swagbucks are really really limiting our earning so I don’t anticipate this to improve significantly before the end of the year.
October is a long month with no real breaks. I am ready so bring it on!