- This is the first night we have been home this week with no practice or events. I think this should occur at least 2 more times during the month of October 2018.
- My job in Guam is “suppose” to be starting in the next 2 weeks. I also have received notice that I need to “reapply” for licensure by the end of October. I am so reluctant to even think about this but am leaving an open mind. I do have a call schedule to speak with someone on Tuesday and I am very hopeful that I can get an idea of the scope of the time commitment including when it will start on this call.
- My favorite sale of the year is the Food Lion “quarter back” sale. Last week, I even took my mother shopping. We ended up shopping two different Food Lion stores and realized that each store has different prices and sales. The stores are less than a 10 minute drive apart. My favorite deal of the week was free yogurt. The Food Lion brand yogurt was on sale at 4 for $1. Each still qualified for $0.25 back so free yogurt. I still have approximately $40 in my grocery budget remaining but may honestly skip shopping the rest of the month.
- Gas and other auto related expenses are continuing to be above the budget amount. My initial plan was that all “mileage expense” money would be “fun money” may have to be rethought.
- We are celebrating Amanda’s birthday this weekend!
- I am sick, not the need to go to the doctor sick but the I feel miserable and need to take medicine sick. I do feel much better today than on Saturday but we have something every night this week so I can’t be too sick. Uggh did I say I am sick.
- Amanda’s baby shower was Sunday. It was a huge success but did I mention I am sick. I will try and post pictures one day this week.
- Zach has his first baseball game this week. We are moving up to Kid pitch so it should be interesting to say the least.
- We were able to get my building moved last week and also purchased a new lawn mower. We mowed the yard on Friday night and I spent several hours in the building on Saturday but I was so miserable that I called it a day with about 50% done.
- I will receive my second paycheck this week and I am actually really pleased with how our budget is working. I also received the news that I should start my second job in Guam in October.
- I have started buying Christmas presents and actually am over half way finished!
Did I mention I am sick? So it is off to bed I go!
Fair Warning- Picture or Kid overload depending on how you want to look at it!
The kids start back to school on Monday, so we wanted to make today fun and relaxing! One of the ways to have fun that is usually not crazy expensive is community days. Our community day was “Big Toy Day”. This event was held at the small county airport. Cost was $5 for everyone over 10. Matt was working so it was $10 for Lily and I. Amanda and David met us but they covered their own cost!
The highlight of the day for everyone was the airplane ride. This was free for children between the ages of 8-17. All three of the kids got to ride in the same small plane.
Also present was a variety of different trucks, airplanes, equipment and race cars.
Everything was free except for food. Kendall and Zach enjoyed a turn in the bouncy a house.
I ended up purchasing 3 waters, 1 diet coke, two hot dogs and chips for a total of $7. The kids had taken their own chore money. Kendall bought a soda with caffeine, and a small shaved ice ($4), Lily a large shaved ice ($5) and Zach a soda with caffeine.
After eating, we headed home to meet Matt and head to the pool for a relaxing couple of hours. I packed a cooler and our pool dues are paid yearly so total cost for the afternoon was $0.
In some ways, I wish that summer would not end!
Shopping pictures from our beach trip
One of the biggest changes or should I say most difficult change for me, is going to be that I am responsible for dinner most days of the week. Both Matt and I will be working until around 4:30pm each day. I know myself and realize that if I don’t have something that is already complete in the crockpot or can be placed in the oven with five minutes or less of prep than I will want to eat out. But really after working all day who does want to cook? With this in mind, I spent most of my day today working on meal preparation. I know there are a couple of people who wander what and how so I am going to provide probably too many details.
First up was left-over chicken and pasta from the beach. This was an excellent meal made by Amanda but we had leftovers especially chicken breast. I shredded 1/4 of the chicken breast, mixed in about half a block of cream cheese together with the left-over pasta and this was our lunch today. I shredded the rest of the chicken breast, added a bag of frozen vegetables, cut up a potato, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup mixed with a cup of chicken broth and pour on top. Kendall wrote a index card with the directions for the topping and in the freezer it went.
I purchased a 10 pound bag of chicken breast from Costco that I pulled out next. I used my insta pot to cook approximately 4 pounds, really as full as it would go. Next, the kitchen aid shredded the chicken. I was able to make 2 containers of Chicken Broccoli Casserole . I have learned that I needed to chop up the broccoli in order to make everyone happy. I also made 2 batches of Chicken Enchiladas- I don’t add the salsa or cheese on top before freezing. Finally made a regular Chicken Pie. Kendall added a card with instructions. I also labeled both the top and side with what each thing was. I added about another 3 pounds of chicken breast to the instapot and cut this is cubes for Chicken Fried Rice. ( I will try and add the recipe for this soon). I left 6 breast in the bag and added a bottle of Italian dressing. This will marinate for 3 or 4 days and become awesome grilled chicken. That is a total of 8 meals from one bag of chicken and 9 meals prepped for the day.
We, Matt and I did an inventory last night and we have 2 meals of cowboy beans, a meal of taco soup, several meals of Salisbury steak, taco meat and sloopy joes all prepared. Matt is also excited to find 10 more frozen burritos.
Taco meat is easy, brown 5 pounds of hamburger dump in crock pot along with water and seasoning, cook on low for 3-4 hours. We divide ours into 1# bags for either tacos or nachos.
Sloppy joes are similar with 5 pounds of browned hamburger, this also cooks in the crook pot for several hours. These are also packed in 1# bags, which feeds the 6 or 7 of us easily.
We also have lots of beef from the cow we purchased. I do want to make some easy breakfast this week but am starting to feel more comfortable with our meals. The last stage will be writing out a meal plan for the month some time this week.
1. We are currently on vacation in Cherry Grove South Carolina. Our vacation started last Sunday and we will head back home this Sunday, the August 12th. Haley came down on Sunday and stayed to Wednesday. My mother came on Monday and will be leaving on Saturday. Amanda and her significant other arrived late Wednesday night and will stay till Sunday. We have had the perfect beach weather with lots of time on the beach!
2. On Tuesday, I was offered a position at Davie County Schools. I accepted it the same day. This is a different school district than the kids are in, but the schedule should be similar enough to allow us the flexibility we need. I will get off two months in the summer in addition to a couple of weeks at Christmas, a week in the Spring and all major holidays.!
3. After accepting the new position, I realized that I have been wearing scrubs for the past 7 or more years. I have purchased some jeans and shorts but did not have but one pair of pants other than jeans. We have also spent some time shopping at the outlets near by. I was able to purchase 3 pair of pants, 2 shirts and a long sleeve dress for $125.00
4. Today is my 46th birthday! We spent the morning on the beach. We shopped at the Nike outlet this afternoon, prior to going to eat real fresh seafood. We also spent time shopping at a Christmas store. Both LIly and Amanda purchased new items for my birthday at the store. This has been an awesome birthday.
5.On Saturday our lawn mower, started an untimely death. We will have to replace it during this next week.
Matt and I enjoyed two days off together this week! Wednesday and Thursday!
We spent Wednesday at Wet and Wild with the kids. I can honestly say it was one of the best days ever!
Amanda is having my second grandson in November. I think I am the least excited because everyone else is OVER the moon! I am really just as excited don’t tell them!
I get to enjoy a 5 day break starting next Wednesday! I can’t wait!
Kendall is celebrating her 10th birthday this Sunday. July 1st, how can this be?
Some pictures of the book box that Matt’s has made for Amanda’s Gender Reveal party on Sunday. The box was rescued from my parents house several years ago. We “think” it may have been my father’s tool box at work. Matt use all paint that we already had so total cost $0 but priceless after the paint job!
Did you hear that sigh of relief? Do you have a clue what it means for us?
- This is the month, that we hopefully final get our feet back on solid ground. In addition, we are actively seeking ways to increase our overall income as well. My prayers is that by the end of June, we will have significantly increased our income and can adjust our budget accordingly.
- The square foot garden should been to produce. We currently are able to harvest lettuce, basil and cilantro. I hope to add at least cucumber and squash to the mix by the end of the month.
- Matt and I will have some “alone” time this month. For dinner tonight, we used a gift card and enjoy a large meal at Applebee’s. Total spent was $11! Amanda has taken all the kids with her camping this weekend. All three kids are planning to attend our church camp which be for the entire third week of June. Currently, I have scheduled myself an additional 10 hours the week they are gone to camp. This weekend, my plans are to finish up some spring cleaning and relax.
- School ends for Lily next Wednesday. Zach and Kendall will both finish on Friday. This summer will be a definite change as Matt will be working one or more days. We get to start using our “Wet and Wild” pass for the summer. I am hoping to go twice in the month of June alone.
- I am finally feeling caught up. I still have several things I would like to accomplish around the house but they are all things that are simple items that will just keep things moving smoothly.
Thanks for sticking with us!