This week really explains why we focus on saving money and why we often have to make difficult choices.
You only turn 11 once in your lifetime and if you are a middle child you deserve at least a two day celebration! One of our family’s birthday traditions is the birthday person gets to pick out a restaurant to eat at. Kendall chose “Red Robin” We were joined by lots of friends to make it an even bigger celebration!
One mom plus 4 kids at Wet and Wild Water Park EQUALS 5.5 mile or 13,000 steps and lots of memorable fun. The kids chose to use their Christmas money from Matt’s Dad for Season Pass! We brought our lunch, $1 lunchables x 8. Haley treated the kids to Ice Cream! I did buy a frozen lemonade so total spent was less than $15!
Kendall really enjoyed church camp this year. She was fortunate enough to have two counselors from our church. Both of these awesome ladies also sent me lots of pictures.
Today is the official first day of summer and it marks the end of my first week of summer break! Lily and Kendall left for church camp early Monday morning. I have some really cool pictures to post from Kendall including rock climbing and archery. Lily did mange to sprain her thumb but still sounds like she is having a great time.
2. The square foot garden is continuing to grow the best I can remember. This week we have picked green beans and peppers. My cucumber plants finally look like they are growing! I did break down and buy both cucumbers and peaches from the farmers market this week.
3. Several years ago, I decided to attempt to create an edible landscape. This year both the apple and pear trees are large enough to produce fruit. We added 2 pecan trees that grew in my mother’s flower beads that are thriving as well. My third attempt at a peach tree has 3 leaves. I decided to try something new and planted 5 pits from the peaches I bought this week. I will be thrilled to grow even one as they are very expensive from the nursery. I also have started a blueberry blind. Yesterday, we planted another plant to replace several that died this year. The exciting news is that we also managed to find and tie up two other plants that I assumed were dead! The kids really enjoying picking and eating the blueberries and I am hopefully that 3 years from now some may actually make it inside.
4. I have spent $30 on groceries this week, including items from the farmers market and bagels on sale at Alidi. We also have not spent any money on gas which is exciting decrease from 3 tanks a week.
5. I feel like I am achieving a good balance, keeping things caught up and extra cleaning at home while enjoying time at the pool, reading and relaxing as week. I wonder if this will change next week when the girls return?
On Thursday, Zach participated in his awards day. He has made A’s all year and his class voted him, future president.
On Friday, Kendall had 5th grade graduation and awards day!
- Today is the last day of school. This week has been a whirlwind of activities and events to mark the end. Today, Kendall has her 5th grade graduation! Zach’s awards day was on Thursday. He has maintained an A average for the year. My mother is correct in her statement that I really deserve the awards as much as we struggle each week in spelling. Zach was also voted “Future President”. I hope this means he has a charismatic personality!
- We are starting to harvest several items from the garden, We have several LARGE zucchini, a couple of handfuls of snap beads, a random pepper about once a week and of course dill and basil. I am really excited to see some blossoms on our cucumber plants!
- Kendall has decide that she wants to cheer next year. I signed her up at the booster club. They will be cheering for football and basketball. The season runs from July to February. I am excited that she wants to cheer but also know it will mean some juggling of our schedule.
- The kids are planning to attend several camps this summer. Lily is going both to camp and a national youth event. Zach has baseball camp, and arts discovery camp. Kendall is going to church camp and already has several other days planned around middle school chorus. We, as a family, are planning a 5 day missions trip in addition to our annual beach trip.
- I have four and half days of work left! 9 weeks of summer vacation is starting to sound shorter and shorter! But I am so excited!