- The weather is awful! It is hot and dry. We have not had any rain in almost a week. The last rain was really less than a quarter of an inch over two days. Our rain barrels are empty. We are continuing to water the garden by hand. I am hopeful that we will get some rain over the next couple of days.
- We have been harvesting and drying parsley, dill and a tiny bit of basil. We have harvested squash and zucchini. I did start a second round of both of these plants so that we can get much more for a longer period of time. I have started basil in three locations with little to no success. Let’s hope that the third time is the charm. My plan is to remove the dill now that it has flowered and start some basil in it’s place. I also have started a second round of cucumbers in hopes to extend the harvest for a couple of months. We do have one watermelon growing and several cucumbers that are very close to being ready. I have ordered more green bean seeds and plan to replant those as well. This hot weather has made things more difficult to grow but I am hoping that a couple of steady showers will help improve everything!
- The first full week of Summer break has flown by! Zach is at Baseball camp this week after Kendall enjoyed a week at church camp last week. Yesterday we spent the day at the pool with Braxton!
- We have ordered the rest of the supplies to finish the chicken coop area. I will be posting lots of pictures in the next week or so when it is all finished.
- Matt purchased a Blackstone grill to use both at home and in the camper for his Father’s Day gift. He really enjoyed using the one at Haley’s wedding a couple of weeks ago so I hope this one gets lots of use.
My heart breaks and I can’t even imagine sending my kids to school and they never return.. No worse evil exist in the world. This is to honor those lost.
I am probably in the minority but I really do enjoy Christmas concerts! This year Zach had a band concert and Kendall a chorus concert.
- Lily was rear ended on Friday while driving her car, unfortunately the person who hit her did not have license, insurance or a tag. She is very shaken up and we are now trying to figure out what and how to fix her car. She loves the car and wants it to be perfect. So this will be a huge balancing act.
- I have declared November to be a no spending month. I have even gone so far as to tell both Matt and myself that we do not need anything from Amazon! I have gotten into a bad habit of eating breakfast out 2 to 3 times a week, in addition to my 2 or 3 days of lunch out. I am definitely cutting back this month. We have been gifted 3 to 4 dozen eggs so it is much easier to find a different way to eat an egg for breakfast every day this week.
- We have given in and turned on the heat on October 28th was the official date. We should experience out first freeze this coming week. The temperature today was a cool high of 59. I am not ready for winter in fact, I would love to move to a spot with summer all year long!
- The kids all did awesome during the first grading period of the year. Lily has all A/s even in her college classes. Kendall has all A’s and Zach has all A’s and B’s.
- The past several weekend have been spent relocating the garden beds in order to expand the driveway. Hopefully during the next 2 weeks we will be able to start some seeds in the green house.
- We have harvested our sweet potatoes. This year was a very small harvest of sweet potatoes but small is better than no harvest at all.
- Tonight for dinner, I took out our entire green bean harvest for the year, and it was all eaten. Again one family serving is better than no servings.
- We were without air conditioning for a total of 8 days. I only worked one of those days. We were blessed to borrow a portable air conditioner for 4 days to use. With this we were able to sleep at night.
- Our August electric bill came in as the exact same amount as our July bill. I am anticipating that it will be extremely high in September. This electricity was used in an attempt to keep us cool.
- I have managed to cook or produced a meal every evening since the air was fixed. Although our budget for August is so far over, this should mean a minimal to no spending month in September.
- The kids have all finished their first full week of school with mask being optional. I anticipate this will change next week. As quarantining rules stated that if both students are wearing a mask even with close contact the exposed student does not have to quarantine. This makes sense to help keep the kids in school.
- I finally have a squash bloom. I don’t anticipate that I will actually get a squash but I am continuing to work on improving the soil for next year!
First day of daycare for Braxton
Zach is in 6th grade and Kendall is in 8th.
First day of 11th grade and first day at Davidson Davie Community College.