It feels like forever since I have been focused on saving money! I looked back on the blog and realized that in May we started survival mood which meet cooking without an oven. Our new oven did not arrive until after vacation in July. Exactly 2 weeks later our air conditioning went out. This was honestly one of the hardest times for me. But I am very thankful to say that we have both a working stove and working air conditioning. I also want to get a good handle and feel for our budget but this will also be changing in the next month. I will post details once we have things finalized and money in hand!
Now to our ways of saving:
- Using items already on hand to help improve the square foot garden. Today we placed the contents of my shredder on one of the garden beds. We also added the coffee grounds from the week and topped with a good dose of water from our rain barrels. We have also placed banana peels in water before pouring on the garden as well. Hopefully we will be able to improve the soil for the next year.
- Ordering from Amazon- I continue to shop for deals on subscribe and save! We are expecting to be stocked up on soups by our next delivery date. I am also watching for “deals” on any item that we use on a regular basis. This week I found “magic erasers” for fifteen cent each. My goal is to eliminate the need to purchase items not on sale.
- Making meals at home- We have eaten at home every day since Tuesday with two exceptions, Matt purchased Bagel on Saturday morning and we enjoyed Sunday lunch with friends. We are currently in the best financial position we have been in for many years so these small treats will remain part of our regular budget. Just not eating out every day and some times 2 times a day!
- Packing lunches and making sure we have some convenient items on hand for lunches. The kids can eat lunch at school but for Zach this usually means more stomach issues and Kendall simply does not like most of the food.
- Eating items from our pantry and freezer. Although I have spent $234 this month for groceries we are starting to look at and plan ahead for most meals. I have also added some treats that the kids enjoy!
- Saving electric by turning off lights, using both the dishwasher and dryer at night so as not to add heat to the house.
What have you been doing lately to save money?