Last week we ended switching around several days because Baseball started! I am so excited but it does bring a new level of complexity to our lives and schedule. Zach and Kendall start in person school 2 days a week. In some money saving news, our schools are going to provide breakfast and lunch for each student free until December 31st 2020. Both Kendall and Zach are excited because eating at school is a treat for both! We will save money by not packing lunch and we also will receive take home meals for the days they are not in school. Hoping to establish a good routine very soon.
Breakfast– Saturday-Bacon, eggs and toast Sunday- bagels Monday- . Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday-choice of breakfast muffins, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal or grits, breakfast burritos, bagels or omelets, French toast
Lunch- Saturday- Pasta salad Sunday-Lunch supplied by friends! I have tuna salad, pasta salad and two regular salad for lunch this week.
Dinner- Saturday- Taco Bell Sunday-pizza from Aldi Monday- Chicken nugget bowls Tuesday-Taco Pasta . Wednesday- Ravioli ( found on sale for $1 a package, 4 packages for us!) Thursday- Left-overs . Friday- Chicken and dumplings
- Zach starts his fall baseball season tomorrow with a pre-season tournament. This is a new team for him and lots of opportunity for growth.
- My personal saving challenge for the month is to save/find $369 to add one day to each of the kids tickets for December. So far I have $146 toward this goal.
- I am exhausted. I managed to work both of my jobs this week and I am starting to feel it. I am trying to keep my schedule a little bit flexible for Guam until getting a baseball schedule which means that I have schedule only 2 kids most night starting at 9pm.
- Zach and Kendall will start in person school next week on Monday and Tuesday. This will be an adventure for all. I am hopefully it will be easier to adjust than anticipated.
- The garden is continuing to produce just enough. We are harvesting basil, tomatoes, pimentos and peppers. I am excited to see more pepper flowers so maybe we can actually freeze some this year!
This week it is back to reality and back to menu planning. Zach and Kendall will start in person class two days a week starting next weeks so we are slowing going back to a busy life. Another change this week is that because of a change in funding, the kids are once again receiving free lunches and breakfast delivered via bus. I am not sure how this will look next week when they are in school two day but definitely something to enjoy not stress over! Guam is three nights this week and today (Labor Day) is my last day off until November.
Breakfast– Saturday-Bacon, eggs and toast Sunday- French toast with extra frozen for another morning. Monday- Breakfast bowls (extra left for the rest of the week). Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday-choice of breakfast muffins, eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal or grits, breakfast burritos, bagels or omelets, French toast
Lunch- Saturday- Pasta salad Sunday-Greggs with friends I have tuna salad, and regular salad for lunch not sure about the other day it may be a sandwhich or another salad.
Dinner- Saturday-left-overs Sunday- more left-overs Monday- Thin steak and ranch potatoes Tuesday- Pepper steak, rice and egg rolls . Wednesday- Turkey enchiladas( from freezer) Thursday- Instant Pot Creamy mac and cheese. Friday- Grilled Chicken
- We spent around 3 hours outside today working in both our flower beds and our garden! The saving part comes in that we did not pay someone to come and do this. A second way we are saving is that by cleaning up the garden we are able to extend the growing season and continue to save on our grocery bill. I had to take pictures just so that I could remember the differences.
- Mom and I made a trip to the Dollar Tree today. I was able to purchase new items for my sign for a total of $5. I am so happy with the way they turned out!
- Zach wanted Taco Bell for his birthday. I decide to download the app in order to save time and headache for me placing such a large order. It actually worked the way it was suppose to and we have already earned two extra tacos for Free!
- We had decided several month ago to have a much less than usual Christmas this year in order to be able to afford our trips to Disney. I have started working on purchasing gift for the kids and I have decided that I am going to limit it to 3 gifts from Matt and I. The little ones at home will also get a Santa Claus gift but that is all! Now to stick to this!
1. Disney was awesome! We really enjoyed the family time together and it was a nice escape from the reality right now. It did confirm that we will be going again in both December and April regardless of the mask requirements or what is open or not. We did miss some of the food but I think that knowing what we know now it will be better in December without any changes.
2. A rock flew up and hit our new windshield in the van! This is the 4th different windshield in the van and the third that I have specifically paid for. I am a lot frustrated but at least it is a relatively easy fix. The new windshield is installed in the driveway so it does not mean a trip anywhere.
3. The goal for the weekend is to tame and reclaim the garden. Between the heat and trips to Disney and the beach, the weeds are winning. I am planning to break the work in separate sessions one or two a day and hopefully by Monday it will resemble a garden again.
4. Remote or online learning continues to be a huge challenge and struggle for us. Matt is able to work from home a couple of days a week but it is super stressful. I am hopefully that at least soon the kids can return to school a couple of days a week for now., ANYTHING has got to be better than what we are doing now! 5. I am looking forward to the long weekend and a more normal schedule starting next week. I don’t have another break until November so we need to get the garden and house under control. I think I am more excited about starting a more normal routine next week with my job. It is something that has not happened since March and will provide stability! The kids will be going to school starting in two weeks at least on Monday and Tuesday so again this will provide stability.
5. I am looking forward to the long weekend and a more normal schedule starting next week. I don’t have another break until November so we need to get the garden and house under control. I think I am more excited about starting a more normal routine next week with my job. It is something that has not happened since March and will provide stability! The kids will be going to school starting in two weeks at least on Monday and Tuesday so again this will provide stability.
August really went out with a bang…. 4 day trip to Disney! It was awesome and hopefully I can share some pictures this week.
Gardening- 1 watermelon from the garden and I thought we were pretty much done with extreme heat and lack of rain for the two weeks of August but I ended up with fresh salsa, a cup of green peppers frozen, along with several salads made from cucumbers. I even have another pot of spaghetti sauce going! I will probably let the sweet potatoes go until the end of September. The goal this month is to clean up and preserve anything that is left.
Goal #1 Grocery Budget of $550- The total for the month is $250. I was able to continue to fill some small holes in the pantry but am just buying things as we need them. I do need to restock on quick easy lunches during September as the kids will likely be home 2-3 days a week the entire month. I am going to anticipate another low month but if that changes then we are still ok.
Goal #2 – Record and keep up with gas/ auto purchase- $174.65 the total for the month. Another low month on gas. The price has been all over the place but I have been driving to and from work for the last three weeks so gas around $200 a month should be the normal until the end of the year. I am most excited that this should allow us to pay off the gas credit car which has a set of tires on it as well!
Goal #3-Use a cash envelope system for everything possible. We are getting better at this. I am going to continue working on this. One issue I am having is that Aldi, one of the stores I shop almost weekly is only excepting exact change or debit cards. This makes it harder for me to remember to keep extra change on my at all time.
Goal #4- Blogging- 15 post per month. This is post number 14 for the month! I am actually proud of this goal especially going back to work on both of my jobs. I hope to continue in September.
Goal # 5- Fitness- Goal is to walk 3 times a week. Did not come close but did manage a 7 mile day at Disney!
Goal #6 – Bible study- Goal- 3x a week –Yikes!
Goal #7-Attempt at least 52 new recipes this year.- I only need 2 more recipes to mark this goal off of my list.
Earnings_ $65. This is a small improvement so we will continue to hope for the best. This covered our breakfast at Magic Kingdom on Saturday and even some cold drinks at the airport.
Things are slowly returning back to normal. We survived and enjoyed August so now to settle in to a new school year and continue to focus on enjoying each moment!