I am so excited to share this. Amanda and three little kids are camping and rafting down the Dan River this weekend. I am getting some pictures and it looks like a lot of fun. I have been putting off some much needed spring cleaning tasks for several months and this house is starting to look like a hoarder lives here. I am going to go ahead and admit that the plastic totes from our yard sale were still sitting empty in the living room. That makes this weekend a perfect time to get some cleaning and organizing done. I decide to tackle the closet in the living room on Thursday. I was pleasantly surprise at how good it looked afterwards. Did you ever read the book “If you give a Mouse a Cookie?” This is exactly how my life works. If you clean out the Living room closet and takes something to the Linen closet, you realize how bad it is and you must clean it. I was actually able to make a huge difference in the Linen closet using storage bags and rearranging plastic containers. I ended up moving a plastic drawer set from my shower room closet. Did you guess? Next up was the closet in the shower room. This is actually a closet that I see daily, so it was one of the cleanest and neatest but I did a little bit of straightening. I decided to move the vacuum into this closet to make it easier to get to out for the kids this summer. I opened the “extra closet” in the dining room to get the vacuum and here is where the real work and savings began.
I, first, should explain that this closet is the access to the garden tub in our master bedroom, and it is also the original front door to the house. I have always “envisioned” this as an extra storage space. After Matt finished working, I shared my idea with him. The biggest challenge was that we really did not have any money to put toward this project. I am happy to say, we salvaged some wood and nails from my parents house/building last year and it worked awesome for this project.
Next we removed an organizer from the laundry room, to allow for more space. Relocated a shelving unit to the corner and add more storage for our food supply. Matt and I both spent several hours and ideas but finally were able to re-use the wood from the laundry organizer and some screws that we claimed from my dad’s building.
I am super excited that we actually finished all this! No food is left sitting in the floor and we also moved the plastic totes. Total time spent was around 12 hours on Saturday. Total out of pocket $0 (ZERO)!